Antenna Tracker Index
Programming the STM32F4 Discovery with the Antenna Tracker firmware.
Antenna Tracker Index
The only things you need to program the STM32F4 Discovery board in Microsoft Windows
are a USB cable with a Mini USB connector, and the free ST-LINK software.
To Download the ST-LINK software, Go to http://www.st.com/internet/evalboard/product/251168.jsp
Near the foot of that page there is a heading "Associated software".
There are links to two zip files.
Please note that this software is free to Download and use as its not quite obvious from the page.
- Download the files and unzip them. In each resulting directory there is an installer.
One is for the ST-LINK utility and the other is for the STLINK USB drivers
which Windows needs for the USB programming cable.
- After running both installers you should have a new icon on the desktop,
the STM32 ST-LINK Utility.
- Before continuing, you should now download the firmware from https://github.com/kwikius/quantracker/blob/master/main.bin?raw=true and store it somewhere on your local drive.
(Be careful to use the above command or you may just get the html page containing the link to the bin file.
Check that the resulting file is more than 44 kB in size. If its much less you may have downloaded the html page).
- Connect your STM32F4 Discovery board to the PC using the USB mini connector
(the taller or fatter USB connector on the STM32F4 Discovery board furthest
from the blue and black buttons).
- Start the ST-LINK Utility Application and connect to the STM32F4 Discovery
using "Target>Connect" from the Top menu.
(You may get a warning saying the ST-LINK firmware is outdated. You can ignore this.)
- Open the firmware file using File>Open File from the Top menu and selecting the .bin file from where you saved it. In the first tab above the area showing the device memory make sure that "Device Memory @ 0x8000000:" is selected.
- Now program the device using "Target> Program" Or "Target> Program & Verify".
Its easiest to deselect the "Reset after programming" tickbox ( Not essential but its easier to reset the board by hand afterwards for clarity).
- After the programming is complete, Select "Target> Disconnect"while leaving the cable connected as it is providing power to the board.
- You should now see the Orange LED near the centre of the STM32F4 Discovery Blinking rapidly at about 3Hz. (That signifies that the Antenna Tracker is ready and waiting for telemetry data). If not press the Black reset button in the centre of the board. If the led is blinking, congratulations! The board is now programmed with the QuanTracker software.